May 17, 2012
If you’re keen to support local charities through your Big Lunch but don’t want to ask for money you could encourage your friends, neighbours and community to ‘Bring a Tin’ with them to your Big Lunch. This year we’ve teamed up with two UK charities, FareShare and The Trussell Trust , to encourage Big Lunchers to donate a tin at their Big Lunch. By donating a tin or other food items at your Big Lunch you can help raise awareness of food poverty and food waste issues.
How to get involved
Before your Big Lunch
- Find your local collection point through:
- FareShare or,
- The Trussell Trust
- or, perhaps you know of a local charity or organisation in need of donated food
- Check with your chosen food bank or charity which items they accept.
- Include the idea on your posters and invites to neighbours and your community
- Ask for volunteers who will deliver the items to the collection point – you may need to contact them to check which day / time will be most convenient for both parties
- Let us know if you decide to run a Bring a Tin at your Big Lunch – we’d love to shout about it and encourage others to do it too.
At your Big Lunch
- Designate a collection area where people can leave their tins on the day (do make sure this area won’t block access for emergency vehicles if you get lots and lots of donations!) This could be directly into a car boot to save loading later!
- Take a photo of all your donations and donators and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, post on Facebook orTwitter
We look forward to your updates and pictures!
- No comments
- Charity, Environment, Events, Friends, Ideas, Sharing, Spreading the word
- Bring at Tin, Charity, FareShare, Food donations, Fundraising, The Trussell Trust