November 2, 2012
This delicious tart is great for a party and a nice option for any vegetarians coming to your Big Lunch. You can either use ready to bake puff pastry for this recipe or make your own.
From the Eden Project
For the pastry:
240g wholemeal flour
240g self-raising flour
240g butter, chilled and diced
200ml chilled water
30g poppy seeds
For the egg custard:
100ml double cream
1 egg yolk
For the filling:
100g red onion, diced
150g courgette, diced or other veg of your choice
100g sweet potato
200g butternut squash or other squash in season
2g black pepper
1g fresh thyme
75ml vegetable oil
- To make the pastry with a food processor: Add the two flours, butter and poppy seeds and use the pulse button until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running slowly gradually add the water until the mixture forms a dough. Divide the pastry into two, wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the pastry by hand: As above but mix in a bowl with clean hands.
- To make the egg custard, mix the milk, double cream, egg yolk and eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel and dice all vegetables into 1cm squares. Place the red onion, courgette and sweet potato in a roasting dish. Mix with vegetable oil and roast for 15 minutes. Place the squash, pepper and thyme in a separate roasting dish and roast at 160°C for 15 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out and ease into tin, prick the base, trim the edges then bake blind for 12–15 minutes. Place the onion, courgette and sweet potato into the pastry case, pour the egg mix over filling and sprinkle the squash on top. Bake in a hot oven at 160°C for 25–30 minutes or until set.
Get more recipes from The Big Lunch
- No comments
- How to, Ideas, Recipes, Sharing
- Eden Project recipe, Harvest, squash, vegetable tart