December 23, 2012
Author: Emily Watts
Perfect Mulled Wine
If you’re inviting the neighbours over for some Christmassy nibbles, mulled wine is a great thing to offer. This method also works for grape juice or a mix of cranberry for anyone who wants to stay on top form.
‘Christmas time, mistletoe and wine…’
Spot the ready made sachet?
- 70cl of your chosen base drink – either a nice full bodied red wine, red grape juice or cranberry juice.
- 50ml orange juice
- 50ml apple juice
- Fine slices of orange and apple
- 6 cloves
- 2 Star anise
- A cinnamon stick, broken in half
- A whole nutmeg, grated a few times
- 3 tbs sugar (I like to use light brown soft)
- A six inch square of muslin and some string.
- Break up your cinnamon and grate some nutmeg into the middle of the muslin. Add cloves and star anise. Tie up the corners until you have a wee sachet. (Alternatively, you can find ready made sachets in all good supermarkets, and they also abound in delis UK wide!)
- Pour your wine or juice into a big pan and warm gently. You want a slight simmer – don’t boil it!
- Add your spice sachet, along with the sugar and the added fruit juice. Add fruit slices at the end. Add an optional dash of brandy just before serving.
- Warm through and serve in heat-proof glasses – preferably with handles! Add friends and neighbours.
- No comments
- How to, Ideas, Recipes, Scotland, Spreading the word