January 11, 2013
This beany, budget-friendly one-pot is a super easy supper for the winter season that takes inspiration from traditional Boston Baked Bean recipies from the US. Try it out now and it could be an idea to keep aside as a throw together dish, perfect for feeding a crowd at your Big Lunch!
Prep time- 10 mins
Cooking time- 1-2 hours (depends how patient you are!)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 x tinned cannellini beans
- 1 x tinned kidney beans
- 1 x onion, finely chopped
- 2 x garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock
- 2 x heaped tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 x tbsp. black treacle
- 1 x tbsp. English mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- Slug of Worcester sauce
- Slug of Tabasco sauce
- Warm crusty bread
- Sprinkling of fresh parsley or coriander
- Fry the bacon lardons in a large pan with the chopped onion and garlic until the bacon starts to turn nice and crispy.
- Then simply add the rest of the ingredients to the pan- the beans, tomatoes, stock, sugar, treacle, paprika, mustard and sauces till the beans are just covered (if not add a little more stock).
- Cover the pan with a lid and let simmer for at least 1 hour stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick and adjusting spices, sauces and seasoning to taste. Cook until the sauce has thickened and the beans are soft.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs, serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
What’s your favourite one-pot recipe for feeding a crowd? Let us know what you think of this one too!
- No comments
- How to, Ideas, Recipes
- Big Lunch on a budget, crowd cooking, Recipe Ideas