June 30, 2014
Author: Emily Watts
The sun is out, the nights are longer and the days are (mostly) warmer. What better season to get out and active with your community? Up here in Glasgow we’re getting excited for the Commonwealth Games – and we’re thinking about ways we can celebrate sporting and cultural goodness with our communities.
If you’ve enjoyed getting together for a Big Lunch and are looking for ideas for something to do next, or if you’re planning to hold a Big Lunch to celebrate the Games and cheer on your chosen teams – we’ve got some great ideas to help you celebrate with your neighbours!
- Encourage your community to get moving by holding a sports tournament. Make sure you have plenty of silly races and games to get people involved – our favourites are the old fashioned egg-and-spoon races and tug ‘o’ wars. Two-legged races are always fun!
- Get each house, family or participant to draw ballots and support a different Commonwealth team for the duration of the Games. You could make a special ‘medal’ for the winning household.
- Hold a mini Commonwealth Big Lunch – pick a county in the Commonwealth and each bring a themed dish.
- Ask everyone for their favourite recipes from different Commonwealth countries and create a street or community wide recipe booklet!
- Ask around – perhaps you have a storyteller in your midst who would regale you all with tales of the Commonwealth countries? Does anyone in your community have their own stories to share?
- Make a map of the world and encourage people to mark the Commonwealth countries they’ve visited, or would like to visit – if they have photos even better! Who’s the furthest travelled?
- Get everyone involved in doing a street mural in chalk – why not take inspiration from Aboriginal dot art? (Top tip – chalk will wash away afterwards – and we have some to give away!)
- Is there a local dance group that could demonstrate some dances from the Commonwealth? If you have some keen dancers maybe they could research dance styles and put on a performance themselves?
Whatever you do, we wish you a warm and sunny summer full of excuses to get together. What better way to brighten your day and get you all out together?
We still have some Commonwealth Big Lunch packs availabel (posters, invites and an ideas sheet) – contact emily.watts@thebiglunch to recieve yours.
- 1 comment
- Community, Events, Games, Ideas, Scotland, Spreading the word
- activities, Ideas, Scotland